If you are looking for a rewarding career in the beauty industry, cosmetology school will provide an exciting opportunity to learn the entry-level skills you will need. Through classroom training and hands-on experience, you’ll be prepared for entry-level employment as a cosmetologist.
Here are 5 things you can expect in cosmetology school:
1. Courses in cosmetology will provide you with a variety of skills
In beauty school, you will learn important cosmetology skills, including:
|Basics||● Anatomy of hair, skin, nails ● Ingredients and chemicals of beauty products|
|Hair||● Variety of different cuts
● Shears and razors
● How to formulate hair color, highlights, and lowlights
● How to give a blowout● Different finished styles (including updos) including popular men’s and women’s cuts and styles
|Skin||● Basics of skin care
● How to treat different skin conditions
● Performing facials
● Popular makeup styles, including highlighting and contouring● How to create special effects through makeup application
|Nails||● How to perform manicures and pedicures
● Nail art and design● Safety and sanitation
|Business Training||● How to manage your business and build a client base ● Marketing and sales, customer service, and more|
2. You will learn theory and technique in the classroom, and gain hands-on experience in the salon
Cosmetology school provides a real-world workplace experience. When you enroll in a cosmetology training program, expect to work hard as you learn new techniques and methods used in cosmetology. Early in your training, you will spend much of your time in the classroom, learning theory and technique and practicing on mannequins.As you start to build your skills, you will have opportunities in beauty school for practical work on real clients through training hours in the school’s salon. Members of the general public receive discounted services and beauty school students are able to gain hands-on experience.
3. The time you spend in the program will depend on the training hours you need
The length of a cosmetology program is often dictated by the number of training hours necessary to get licensed at the end of the program. This is a requirement set by state licensing boards. For example, Illinois requires cosmetology students to complete 1,500 hours of instruction.
4. Cosmetology school tuition and supplies are an investment in your future
The cost of attending cosmetology school varies from school to school. At Midwest Technical Institute, tuition and fees range from $16,900 to $19,900 depending on the length of cosmetology training program. A beauty school kit is included in the cost, which includes:
- Mannequin head
- Stylist apron / smock
- Shampoo cape
- Spray bottle
- Cutting shears
- Styling brushes and combs and picks
- Other beauty supplies
MTI offers a variety of financing options to qualifying cosmetology students. Visit with a campus Financial Aid Representative to learn more.
5. Cosmetology school will prepare you for state licensing
All professional cosmetologists are required to be licensed by the state in which they practice. Additionally, cosmetology school at an accredited vocational or community college, such as MTI, is required to qualify for a cosmetology license.Cosmetology school will prepare you for a combination of written, oral, and practical examinations, depending on the state in which you plan to practice.
How Do I Apply for Cosmetology School?
If you’re interested in attending the Cosmetology Program at MTI, the enrollment process typically starts with a campus tour, where you will be able to discuss program options with an Admissions Representative, learn more about the program, and enroll for the next start date.To learn more about what you can expect in the Cosmetology Program at MTI , contact our friendly Admissions Team today!