Cosmetology Program Overview
The Cosmetology Program provides students with entry-level skills relating to hair, nails and skin with an emphasis on hygiene, sanitation, customer relations and salon management.
Cosmetology classes at Midwest Technical Institute provide the student with theory and skills training in basic haircutting, hair styling and hair coloring. Cosmetology training also includes nail and skin care education.
After completing MTI’s cosmetology school, the graduate will be able to perform the basic facial, including but not limited to, masks, specialized facials and manual care. The graduate will also leave with confidence in manicuring, pedicuring and advanced nail services. He/she will also have a working knowledge of industry sanitation and disinfection practices.
*Not all programs and courses are available at all campuses.
*Cosmetology Program hour options vary per campus. Please contact your local campus for more information.
• Cosmetology Sciences
• Cosmetology Sciences I
• Hair Care
• Hair Care I
• Nail Care
• Nail Care I
• Skin Care
• Skin Care I
• Croquignole Curling
• Illinois and Iowa Rules and Regulations*
• Missouri Rules and Regulations*
• Cosmetology Sciences II
• Cosmetology Sciences III
• Salon Management
*Illinois and Iowa Rules and Regulations applies to 13, 16 and 17 month Cosmetology Programs at the Moline (Quad Cities), IL campus.
*Missouri Rules and Regulations applies to 13 and 16 month Cosmetology Programs at the Springfield, MO campus.
- What is a cosmetologist?
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, “cosmetologists provide haircutting, hairstyling and a range of other beauty services.” *www.bls.gov
- How much do cosmetologists make?
- The median hourly wage for hairdressers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists was $14.50 in May 2019. Cosmetologists may receive tips from customers. High quality work and customer service usually contributes to greater tip totals. *www.bls.gov
- Where can I work as a cosmetologist?
- Cosmetologists work mostly in a salon, although some work in a spa, hotel or resort. Some lease booth space from a salon owner, others manage salons or open their own shop after several years of experience. *www.bls.gov
- How much does cosmetologist training cost?
Cosmetology at Midwest Technical Institute
Get a glimpse into the Cosmetology Program at Midwest Technical Institute.
Midwest Technical Institute offers a variety of financing options to qualifying students. Financial Aid Representatives are available at each of our campuses to assist you. Please contact your nearest MTI campus today to learn more.
Enrollment and outcome information for all Illinois-based campuses and the ACCSC annual reports for each program in Adobe PDF format. Please note, all programs are not offered at all campuses.
Cosmetologists provide hair, nail, skin and beauty services to clients. As cosmetologists become more experienced and gain clientele, they may find themselves managing a salon or deciding to open their own. Others become sales representatives or image consultants.
MTI is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools & Colleges (ACCSC).
MTI is approved by the United States Department of Education to participate in the Federal Financial Aid Program.