Are you wondering if cosmetology is the right career path for you in 2018? Are you interested in glamorous and bold nail art? Does the art of cutting, coloring, and curling hair fascinate you? Are you excited by the idea of blending creativity and beauty? At Midwest Technical Institute, we offer a Cosmetology Program to teach you the necessary skills and training for entry-level employment in the cosmetology industry.
What is Cosmetology?
Cosmetology encompasses all the professional aspects of beautifying the hair, face, skin, and nails. From facials and tweezing to nail polish and smoky eyes, a license in cosmetology can help you begin a career helping others look their best.
In the MTI Cosmetology Program, you have the opportunity to learn the necessary and foundational skills for a career in the beauty industry, including:
- Hair care and styling: Master cutting, styling, and coloring all types of hair on any person. Your education will include classes on hair care and products, as well as lessons on shaving.
- Skin care: Familiarize yourself with different skincare products. You’ll learn how to properly tweeze unwanted hairs, conduct cleansing facials, contour modern face looks, and apply show-stopping false eyelashes.
- Makeup: Learn to create social media-worthy looks with the flick of a brush and some pigment. From foundation and blenders to bronzer and mascara, you’ll be given the resources to learn how to perfect any makeup application.
- Manicures and pedicures: A portion of your schooling will focus on proper techniques for manicures and pedicures, including nail shapes and polish variations.
- Salon management: To better equip you with industry skills that go beyond the salon chair, the MTI Cosmetology Program also trains students in the business of cosmetology, including customer relations and salon management.
- Rules and regulations: Cosmetology is a licensed profession. To help you prepare to pass licensing exams after graduation, you will be taught applicable laws, rules, and regulations for your state.
- The science of beautification: You’ll learn the scientific knowledge for how and why to use particular products and techniques while practicing cosmetology. This information gives you a better understanding of any associated risks that come with improper procedure during cosmetological work.
Interested in a cosmetology license? Learn more about how the MTI Cosmetology Program can prepare you for a career in beauty.
What to Expect from Cosmetology School in 2018
If you are planning to go to cosmetology school this year, there are a few elements and offerings you should look for in an educational program, including:
- Coursework in a variety of skills that will prepare you for several cosmetology professions, including hair, makeup, and nail design, and even how to manage a cosmetology business.
- Hands-on training on both mannequins and real people.
- The opportunity to express yourself artistically and use your creative talents in a variety of ways.
- Education on how to manage a flexible schedule. Cosmetologists often work full time, but part-time positions are common as well .
- A generally positive, upbeat environment in a salon and classroom setting.
With both classroom and hands-on learning modules, the MTI Cosmetology Program provides training in theory and skills, matching industry requirements with cosmetology passion.
What is the Job Outlook for Cosmetology in 2018?
Part of deciding if cosmetology school is worth your investment in 2018 is knowing how healthy the industry is as a whole. Here are some statistics to consider in 2018:
- Currently more than 1.3 million people in the U.S. are employed as barbers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists.  The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that population growth will lead to an increased demand of these occupations. 
- The median hourly annual wage for hairdressers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists was $11.95 in May 2017, with tips received by some contributing to greater compensation. 
Interested in styling and coloring hair? Learn more about how the MTI Cosmetology Program can prepare you for a career in beauty.
What Can You Expect from the MTI Cosmetology Program?
To enroll in the MTI Cosmetology Program, the only prior education you need is a high school diploma or equivalent. With that under your belt, you can expect the following when proceeding through the program:
- State-approved cosmetology training: You will be taught all necessary rules and regulations for practicing cosmetology in your state.
- Preparation for licensing exams: To begin work as a cosmetologist, you will be required to pass state licensing exams after completing your schooling. MTI will teach you all the necessary skills and knowledge to help prepare you to pass these exams.
- Short schooling timeframe: We know not everyone wants to go to school for four years. At MTI, you can choose a Cosmetology Program of 13, 16, or 17 months. MTI offers cosmetology training at our Moline (Quad Cities), Illinois campus and our Springfield, Missouri campus. Not all program lengths are available at all campuses. Please contact your local campus for more information about program offerings, class schedules, and program lengths.
- Pivot Point resources: MTI works with educational materials and tools from Pivot Point , a leader in the beauty industry and education market.
- Accreditation: MTI is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools & Colleges (ACCSC) and is approved by the United States Department of Education to participate in the Federal Financial Aid Program.
Things to Consider About Cosmetology School
Cosmetology combines art and science, tapping into passion and knowledge to create new and classic looks every day. Here are some things to consider:
- It can be fulfilling: In a field where you’re working to help people look and feel their best, you can feel good about what you do.
- You’ll build relationships: While in school and the cosmetology field, you will have the opportunity to interact with a wide variety of people, some which may lead to long-lasting social bonds.
- Cosmetology is an art: While cosmetology is a trade, it can be very artistic. Staying on top of trends and best practices in the field requires a lot of practice and ongoing training, which means you’ll get a chance to flex those creative muscles.
If it sounds like cosmetology might be a good fit for you, now is a great time to consider enrolling in a cosmetology training program! The MTI Cosmetology Program is comprehensive and includes training in:
- Cosmetology sciences
- Hair care
- Nail care
- Skin care
- Croquignole curling
- State rules and regulations
- Salon management
Sources https://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/barbers-hairstylists-and-cosmetologists.htm#tab-5  https://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/barbers-hairstylists-and-cosmetologists.htm#tab-6  http://www.pivotpointshop.com/