Are you struggling with choosing a career? Are you unsure of what you want to study? Do you not know how to pick an industry? Are you thinking, “How do I find the right career for me?“
To find the right career, it may be beneficial to take industry growth into consideration. There are plenty of growing industries in need of qualified professionals. Five in-demand careers are:
Midwest Technical Institute (MTI) offers programs in each of these growing careers.* MTI also offers support services and financial aid to those who qualify. Read Financial Aid and Scholarships for Non-Traditional Students to learn more.
*Not all programs are available at all campuses. Please contact your local campus for more information.
Changing careers may start with going back to school.
What is a Dental Assistant?
A dental assistant may do any or all of the following, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS): 
- Ensure that patients are comfortable in dental chairs
- Prepare patients and the work areas for treatments and procedures
- Sterilize dental instruments
- Hand instruments to dentists during procedures
- Dry patients’ mouths using suction hoses and other equipment
- Instruct patients in proper oral hygiene
- Process x-rays and complete lab tasks, under the direction of dentists
- Keep records of dental treatments
- Schedule patient appointments
- Work with patients on billing and payments
What is a Medical Assistant?
A medical assistant is often responsible for the following duties: 
- Record patient histories and personal information
- Measure vital signs, such as blood pressure
- Help physicians with patient examinations
- Give patients injections or medications as directed by physicians and as permitted by state law
- Schedule patient appointments
- Prepare blood samples for laboratory tests
- Enter patient information into medical records
What is Medical Coding?
Medical coding  is the translation of medical notes and documents into codes. A medical coder [link to MTI-0918-01] must learn three different code sets, which are the International Classification of Disease (ICD), Current Procedure Terminology (CPT), and Healthcare Common Procedure (HCP). Medical coding is crucial for keeping patient records, insurance claims, and billing, and tracking the spread of illness and disease nationwide.Medical coders may work in  offices of physicians, hospitals (state, local, and private), outpatient care centers, and offices of chiropractors.The Bureau of Labor Statistics  predicts growth of 13% from 2016-2026 for Medical Records and Health Information Technicians, which is faster than average growth across all industries and a strong indicator that medical coding specialists are in demand.MTI offers a 9-month (35-week) Medical Coding Specialist Program, which could be a good option when getting started as a medical coder. If aiding the healthcare community sounds exciting to you, medical coding could be a great option to consider.
What is Truck Driving?
Truck drivers  may do the following in their positions:
- Drive long distances
- Report to dispatchers any incidents encountered on the road
- Follow all applicable traffic laws
- Secure cargo for transport, using ropes, blocks, chains, or covers
- Inspect their trailers before and after trips and record any defects they find
- Maintain logs of their working hours, following all federal and state regulations
- Report serious mechanical problems to the appropriate personnel
- Keep their trucks and associated equipment clean and in good working order
What is Welding?
A welder  typically completes the following:
- Study blueprints, sketches, or specifications
- Calculate the dimensions of parts to be welded
- Inspect structures or materials to be welded
- Ignite torches or start power supplies
- Monitor the welding process to avoid overheating
- Maintain equipment and machinery
When You Are Choosing a Career Path, There Are Various Growing Careers to Choose
Are you wondering how to find the right career? The first step to beginning a new path in a growing industry may be completing one of MTI’s trade programs. Contact the Admissions Team at Midwest Technical Institute to learn how to enroll.Sources https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/dental-assistants.htm#tab-2 https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/dental-assistants.htm#tab-6 https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-assistants.htm#tab-2 https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-assistants.htm#tab-6 https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-records-and-health-information-technicians.htm#tab-2 https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-assistants.htm#tab-3 https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-records-and-health-information-technicians.htm#tab-6 https://www.bls.gov/ooh/transportation-and-material-moving/heavy-and-tractor-trailer-truck-drivers.htm#tab-2 https://www.bls.gov/ooh/transportation-and-material-moving/heavy-and-tractor-trailer-truck-drivers.htm https://www.bls.gov/ooh/transportation-and-material-moving/heavy-and-tractor-trailer-truck-drivers.htm#tab-6 https://www.bls.gov/ooh/production/welders-cutters-solderers-and-brazers.htm#tab-2 https://www.bls.gov/ooh/production/welders-cutters-solderers-and-brazers.htm#tab-6