Last Updated: January 10th, 2024
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is changing in 2024-25, and MTI is here to help.
You must fill out the FAFSA to apply for federal student aid, such as federal grants, work-study funds, and loans. It’s free to fill out and submit, and the FAFSA Simplification Act of 2020 was intended to make the process easier than ever.
However, it’s bringing big changes to the process that will affect everyone who fills it out, including trade school students and parents.
The Financial Aid Team at MTI is ready and available to help you navigate the changes to the FAFSA, and put together this guide to help answer some of your questions.
2024-2025 FAFSA is Now Available
The FAFSA typically opens annually on October 1st, but the overhaul of not only the form itself, but also the processing system has pushed the FAFSA availability. The FAFSA was made available by December 31st, 2023. The 2024-2025 FAFSA is now available.
What’s changing with the FAFSA?
There are many changes coming to the FAFSA, but MTI would like to highlight a few key changes most relevant to trade school students and their parents.
- The FAFSA was made available for students and parents by December 31st, 2023. In previous years, the FAFSA was available in early October.
- There will be a more secure process in place to handle personal information—and that will require more involvement from all parties who contribute to the process and who now must also provide their information.
- To make the form easier to complete, they lowered the number of questions on the application from 108 to 48.
- They are expanding eligibility for student aid and reducing barriers for certain populations, including homeless, and unaccompanied youth, incarcerated students, English language learners, and students from low-income backgrounds.
MTI recognizes there are many changes to navigate, and that the process of filling out your FAFSA can be detailed and even overwhelming. We’re here to help!
The Financial Aid Team at MTI can provide one-on-one, personalized assistance and support as you fill out your FAFSA for the 2024-2025 award year.
To get connected with MTI’s Financial Aid Team, request more information.
Interested in Learning More About Parent Resources?
Fill out the form below to receive info about our career training programs.
FAFSA Changes and Frequently Asked Questions
- When is it changing? Immediately when it is released in December 2023.
- What isn’t changing? Questions around dependency status will not change. Also, MTI’s Financial Aid Team will still be available to help you through the process.
- What’s the most important information trade school students need to know? If you are under the age of 24 without special circumstances, you should be prepared to have your parents available to participate in the FAFSA process.
- What do parents need to do to prepare? If you haven’t already, go to StudentAid.gov and register for your Federal Student Aid ID and password as soon as possible. Prepare to have your 2022 tax information available (if you filed taxes).
- What do students need to do to prepare? If you haven’t already, go to StudentAid.gov and register for your Federal Student Aid ID and password as soon as possible. Plan ahead to have your parents available to work with you once you begin your application.
- How can MTI help? MTI’s professional Financial Aid Advisors are available at all of our campus locations to help with any questions you may have or to assist you with the FAFSA application process. The Financial Aid Team at MTI can help you submit the FAFSA accurately and completely and reduce the likelihood of needing to make changes and corrections, so that you can receive the proper amount of student aid.
How to Connect with MTI’s Financial Aid Team
If you’re interested in attending a trade school and need assistance with filling out your FAFSA, request more information to get connected with the Financial Aid Team at MTI. Or, you can visit any of our campus locations during regular business hours.