CDL Training FAQ

If you’re interested in a professional truck driving career, MTI offers an accelerated CDL Training Course featuring behind-the-wheel and over-the-road training to get you in the driver’s seat.

Anyone in the United States who wants to drive most types of large and extended vehicles is required to possess a Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL). These licenses enable drivers to find jobs and drive a variety of industrial, professional, and commercial vehicles.

A Commercial Driver’s License, or CDL, is required to operate a variety of commercial vehicles. There are two types: Class A and Class B, so it is important to know which one you may need to become a CDL driver.

Class A allows you to operate any vehicle with a trailer that has two or more axles. One of the most common Class A vehicles is a semi-trailer. 

Class B allows you to drive vehicles such as straight trucks or commercial passenger vehicles, most commonly buses and limousines.

For more information, check out What is the Main Difference Between CDL A and CDL B?

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for truck drivers is projected to grow 4% from 2022-2032 with about 241,200 job openings projected each year.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for truck drivers last recorded in May 2022 is $49,920, with the top 10% of earners making over $75,220.

CDL drivers work everywhere! Drivers’ routes are assigned by their dispatchers, but some may have the option to choose their routes. Long-haul truck drivers may be on the road for days or weeks at a time

Truck driving gives drivers the opportunity to drive cross-country or locally depending on their preference and flexibility.

The CDL Training Course at Midwest Technical Institute is less than 30 days. The training time depends on the campus and class schedule. 

MTI also offers a 5-month Professional Truck Driving Program for more comprehensive training.

CDL program costs vary significantly by type of school, the length of the program, and several other factors. At MTI, most students receive some form of financial aid or assistance, including scholarships. Financial assistance is not available for the CDL Training Course, however qualifying students may receive financial aid for the Professional Truck Driving Program. For more information, please contact Financial Aid or visit Tuition and Cost.

As part of the CDL training at MTI, you apply for your Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP), which permits you to drive accompanied by an instructor, who is a licensed CDL driver. After you have successfully completed your CDL training at MTI, you will be ready to take the CDL exam with your issuing state (Illinois or Missouri) and start your new career as a truck driver.