As a show of support for our local community high school sports, Midwest Technical Institute’s Springfield, IL campus is proud to be an official sponsor of NBC WAND 17’s Athlete of the Week.
The High School Sports Athlete of the Week program will recognize players who are star both on and off the field. Student athletes from the Central Illinois region and WAND TV viewing area will be nominated by coaches, athletic directors, sports fans, etc. for this honor. Winner of Athlete of the Week will be announced each Friday night during sports on Friday 10pm News by Sports Director Gordon Voit beginning August 30, 2019 and running through June 14, 2020.
Do you know an athlete who excels both on and off the field? To nominate a student athlete (must currently be in high school) please send a detailed list of his/her accolades to Gordon Voit on Facebook or via email at Gordon.Voit@wandtv.com.
MTI will also feature the weekly winners here in this post, so be sure to check back.
You can also checkout our YouTube playlist, where we post 1-1 video interviews with the winners! We ask each athlete fun and interesting questions to get to know more about them.
Congratulations to the winners!
- Week of August 29: Jeffery Wells, MacArthur High School
- Week of Sept 5: Jackson Hogan, St. Teresa High School
- Week of Sept 12: Markesha Jackson, Eisenhower High School
- Week of Sept 19: Jeske Maples, Central A&M High School
- Week of Sept 26: Aiden Seider, Eisenhower High School
- Week of Oct 3: Kate Jeffers, Okaw Valley High School
- Week of Oct 10: Edgar Onate, St. Teresa High School
- Week of Oct 17: Grant Ripperda, Williamsville High School