Midwest Technical Institute (MTI) is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of our students, faculty, and staff during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. During this time, we strive to provide any assistance we can to our community. MTI has compiled the below list of community resources available to assist students and their loved ones.
This list of MTI Student Resources includes local and national information on food resources, home and utilities, transportation, educational resources, mental health and more.
- Food pick up for families available from 8:30am – 10:00am from the bullet sites:
- Lanphier High School – Behind school east parking lot
- Southeast High School – West parking lot behind school
- Springfield High School – Commons parking lot at Washington & Parker
- Jefferson Middle School – From First Student Busses on site
- Washington Middle School – From First Student Busses on site
- Feitshans Elementary School – From First Student Busses on site
- Ridgely Elementary School – From First Student Busses on site
- Wilcox Elementary – From First Student Busses on site
- Pinewoods Apartment Complex – 1665 Seven Pines Road
- Antonios Pizza – 2701 W Lawrence Ave
- Lutheran Church Parking Lot – 1850 N Grand Ave. W
- Loami Christian Church
- Franklin Middle School- Behind school west driveway
- Subway in Chatham 317 N Main, Chatham, IL 62629, kids meals consist of a mini sub (turkey, ham, roast beef, or veggie) a side item, and 20oz fountain drink.
- Chaditos at 3030 S 6th St, Springfield, IL 62703 will provide a beef or chicken taco, nachos, and some type of fruit for school aged children.
- Hy-Vee located at 2115 S. MacArthur Blvd, Springfield, Monday through Friday 11am-1pm, during this time every child can receive a free lunch that contains a sandwich, granola bar, piece of fruit, water and a cookie. Free, no purchase necessary.
- McAlister’s Deli at 2917 West. Iles, Springfield, Monday-Friday 11am-1pm, every kid can receive a turkey and cheese sandwich, chips, applesauce and a cookie. Free, no purchase necessary.
- Mariah’s Restaurant will provide free hot lunches Monday-Friday at 11am for pick-up at 3317 Robbins Rd. Springfield, IL. You will need to call Mariah’s 217-793-1900 by 8:00pm the day prior to place your to-go order for your child’s hot lunch.
- Chatham VFW’s Little Pantry (small food items, some feminine hygiene items and diapers) at 501 W. Mulberry St., Chatham. As always, we welcome donations as well.
- First Presbyterian Church food pantry does NOT require that you be on public assistance to receive groceries. Just bring your driver’s license or state ID card, they will help everyone. They are behind the church, on the corner of 7th and Capitol, open on Tues, Wed, & Fri at 9:00am.
- Micro-Pantry located at 422 S 5th (across the street from the Y block) available to anyone at any time. Take what you need and leave what you can. Feel free to restock.
- Burger King is giving away two free kids meals with any purchase made via the Burger King app.
- Wing Stop: Free 5-piece boneless wing lunch Monday – Friday 11:00am – 2:00pm. Please present student ID.
Please visit Springfield Families Helping Families on Facebook for additional resources!
CWLP or Ameren will NOT disconnect services, however, please communicate with them directly for assistance.
- City Water, Light, and Power (CWLP) call 217-789-2000 or visit their website.
- Ameren call 1-800-755-5000 or visit their website.
Cell Phone Service
- AT&T: Unlimited AT&T Home Internet call (800) 869-4157 or visit their website.
- Sprint: Lifting caps on all data plans call (877) 878-9359 or visit their website.
- T-Mobile: Lifting caps on all data plans call (800) TMOBILE or visit their website.
- Verizon: Waving late fees for two months please call (800) VERIZON or visit their website.
- US Cellular: Will not terminate services and wave late fees call (888) 944 -9400 or visit their website
Visit the Illinois Department of Employment Security website for more information regarding unemployment if you are out of work regarding COVID-19.
- Aldi: All locations in Springfield area, are hiring apply online
- Wal-Mart: Hiring temporary employees, apply online
- Mel-O-Cream: Hiring for morning shifts, direct message them with your email and they’ll send you an application. Visit their Facebook for more information.
- Meijer: hiring seasonal workers immediately apply online
- Springfield Families Helping Families post from Jon Roe: Owns a Commercial Cleaning business, adding to his staff weekly. Inbox him for interview, need reliable transportation. Visit the Facebook post for more information.
- County Market has 47 job openings in Springfield, Il apply online, then call the store you applied to schedule an interview.
- Scholastic Learn at Home: Day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking & growing (designed for grades K-9) visit: scholastic.com/learnathome
- Matr: 25 fun math activities and games for kids to do free at home visit: https://matr.org/blog/fun-maths-games-activities-for-kids/
- Learn in Color: Book lists, history & science resources, math resources & other activities visit: https://learnincolor.com/about-me
- ABC Mouse: Full online curriculum for children ages 2-8 offers a free 30-day trial visit: abcmouse.com
- Xfinity Wi-Fi Free for Everyone: Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers. For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, visit: xfinity.com/wifi. Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots, and then launch a browser.
- Comcast: Call 1-855-846-8376 or visit: internetessentials.com/covid19
All SMTD rides are free! No paperwork needed. As of now SMTD is only running routes in Springfield.
Senior Citizen Resources
- Illinois Department on Aging: Senior Helpline and Resources call 1-800-252-8966 or visit https://www2.illinois.gov/aging/Resources/Pages/helpline-main.aspx
- The Parent Place Diaper Pantry located at 314 South Grand Avenue West, Springfield, IL will help with diapers during this time (regardless of income.) Please call first to make sure they have the size(s) you need: (217) 753-8730. The diaper pantry will extend its hours, now open 5 days a week, during business hours:
- Monday – Thursday, 8:30a-5p
- Fridays 8:30a-12p
Financial Support During Coronavirus COVID-19
- Where to Find Financial Support During Coronavirus COVID-19: https://www.thesimpledollar.com/
Financial Assistance for Tipped & Service Workers
- ONE FAIR WAGE – Emergency Coronavirus Tipped and Service Worker Support Fund: https://ofwemergencyfund.org/
- Payment Deadline Extended to July 15, 2020. For more information visit: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/payment-deadline-extended-to-july-15-2020
Mental Health & Counseling Services
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network: nctsn.org
- Tips for coping with anxiety about Coronavirus (COVID-19): https://www.verywellmind.com/managing-coronavirus-anxiety-4798909
- Alcoholics Anonymous Phone Meetings: http://aaphonemeetings.org/
- Mindful Schools: Mindfulness Classes for Kids: https://www.mindfulschools.org/
- Illinois Mental Health Collaborative: Call 1-866-359-7935, Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm and select option #2 for consumers and families. Next, select option #5 for the Warm Line; Peer and Family Support by phone.
- 7 Cups Online Free 24/7 Chat Therapy & Counseling: https://www.7cups.com/
Resources for Property Owners
- National Association of Realtors Resources for Property Owners: nar.realtor/coronavirus-resources-for-property-owners